Contact   |   Home
Catholic Diocese of Umuahia
           

Brief History

The Diocese of Umuahia was erected on June 23, 1958 with Most Rev. Anthony Gogo Nwaedo C.S.Sp. as its first Bishop and Most Rev Lucius Iwejuru Ugorji as the second Bishop. The diocese was carved out from the then Diocese of Owerri. Since its inception, two other dioceses: Okigwe (1981) and Aba (1990) have been excised from it. Its present area of about 2,460.40km2 spans six Local Government Areas: Umuahia North, Umuahia South, Ikwuano, Bende, Ohafia and Arochukwu. The diocese celebrated her Golden Jubilee in the year 2008

Date of Creation: June 23,1958.

Area of land: 2,460.40km2.

The first station and year of creation: St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Bende, 1921.

The first parish and year of establishment: St. Theresa’s Catholic parish Umuahia,1928.

The first Missionary: Rev Fr. Herbert Whytte, C.S.Sp.

The Present Catholic population: 200,153.

Priest of the Diocese 200.

Junior seminarians 446.

Year   

Population

 

Catholics

 

Priests

 

Brothers

 

Sisters

 

1958

1,1190,457

 

127,000

 

9

 

10

 

3

 

1960

1,500,000

 

175,610

 

11

 

12

 

6

 

1965

1,719,945

 

241,490

 

19

 

14

 

10

 

1970

 

327,032

 

19

 

14

 

10

 

1975

1,720,000

422,499

49

45

73

1980

2,376,000

530,099

61

50

72

 

Divided

24th

January

1981

(Okigwe)

1985

1,582,000

263,182

75

24

212

 

Divided

2nd

April

1990

(Aba)

1990

881,817

 

92,517

38

37

310

1995

882,000

 

99,57684

84

4

84

2000

884,209

122,000

103

4

150

2005

900,000

200,153

118

6

138

 

 

 

 
Designed By Verbum Networks, Nigeria
Copyright © 2016. All Rights Reserved.
Catholic Diocese of Umuahia, Nigeria.